Monday, July 15, 2013

Back Pain - Types of Back Surgery to Cure Back Pain


A few months ago I was facing back surgery. Unlike most people with an aching back physical therapy and ice packs didn't bring relief. As I considered my options I began to investigate the different types of spinal surgery. I found out that there are several different types of back operations depending on the symptoms. Below I have created a short list of the most common procedures.

1. The procedure I had was a discectomy. This is where a piece of the disc is removed to relieve pressure on your nerves. disectomy is the most common form of back operation. In my case the surgeon also created more space between my disc and the nerve.

2. Another common procedure is the foramenotomy. Here the disc is removed plus some bone and other tissue, obviously a little more severe than a discectomy.

3. Laminectomy is most often used when spinal stenosis is the diagnosis. Here bone is removed to relieve pressure on the spinal column and many times the spine will also be fused.

4. A fourth common operation is a spinal fusion this can be done as a separate surgery to provide spinal stability and/or in conjunction with a laminectomy.

There are other spinal operations but the above are the most common. Be aware that surgery has many risks. Be sure to learn all you can about the procedure that has been recommended and take steps for your recovery by investigating programs to help you recover and prevent back problems in the future.

One of the top rated programs is called the Lose The Back Pain System developed by therapists and doctors of the Healthy back Institute. This program has helped thousands by strengthening muscles and eliminating muscles imbalance. As someone who has suffered with a bad back and who has endured months of physical therapy and an operation, I can tell you there are solutions for your discomfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment